Sunday, May 29, 2011

Haitian French Toast



I tried this recipe yesterday morning and it was FABULOUS!  Let me first of all state that when I tried it, I didn't really use the recipe.  I pretty much subbed everything.  I used oatmeal bread- it hadn't sat out all night like the recipes suggests, I subbed skim milk in for heavy cream, splenda for sugar, and pam for butter.  And it was still really good.  If it's that good with all the substitutions, imagine what it would be like FOR REAL.

Haitian French Toast

Ingredients

  • 1 French baguette
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 dash ground nutmeg
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions

  1. Cut loaf ends off and reserve for another use. Cut remaining loaf into 1 1/2 inch slices; let stand 4 hours or overnight.
  2. In a 9x13 inch baking pan, combine orange juice, cream, eggs ground cinnamon and white sugar. Place bread slices in pan and turn until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
  3. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Dust generously with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment