Sunday, August 28, 2011

Halloween Tutu Wreath




I love Pinterest.  Like LOVE it.  I spend hours on it.  This is the first time that I've actually made anything inspired by things I've seen on there.  I saw this post:

http://lemontreecreations.blogspot.com/2010/10/wreath-bewitched.html

I really liked it, but thought I would make a few changes.

I started out by purchasing supplies.  And I made a MAJOR discovery.  Walmart has cheap craft supplies.  Like way cheaper than Hobby Lobby.  Seriously.  Selection is not as good, but the price is right.  Also, I hate it when blogs say, "I made this for less than $10!!!!"  but then they put together all kinds of stuff they had around the house.  But I don't necessarily have all that stuff around my house, so it would cost me WAY more than $10.  So on this project I only used one thing from home- white spray paint. I wanted to be able to tell YOU that YOU could do this for around $10!   The rest was purchased (I assume that you have a glue gun and glue sticks) for......*drum roll please*............
$10.43.  Seriously.

The first thing I bought was the wreath base.  At Hobby Lobby a styrofoam wreath base can be as much as $10.  Not good.  I went to the dollar store and bought a little wooden twig wreath they had to use as my wreath base.  $1 vs $10  = happy crafter!



Then I went to Walmart and got a few more supplies.  Here's my list and the total:


Wreath base from Dollar Store……………………….$1.08
3 yrds of Black Tulle………………………………………$2.91
Orange Ribbon………………………………………………..$1.97
1 yrd Green Ribbon………………………………………..$0.53
Black Paint…………………………………………………....$0.99
Silver Paint……………………………………………………$0.99
Black Felt……………………………………………………….$0.99
Wooden Plaque……………………………………………….$0.97

TOTAL                                                            $10.43

I started out with the Wooden plaque.  I sketched out my basic design, spiderwebs and our family name. After I had sketched it in pencil, I spray painted it white. 




I started off painting this first because I knew it would take the longest to dry.


Notice- no ribbon or spiderwebs on the right corner.  That came later.....

I started working on the tu tu.  If you don't know the tu tu technique, Google "Tu Tu Tutorial".  A good one is: http://plumtickled.typepad.com/plumtickled/2007/08/tutu-tutorial-t.html

It gives you the general idea.  Progress so far....



Find a good girly movie on and watch it.  It helps relieve the tediousness of this part.  I watched How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days on Oxygen.  It was fun.



Yay!!!! It's done!

Now for the legs.  I started working on the bottom of the legs first.  Orange Ribbon for the base of the legs, and the green polka dotted ribbon for the leg warmers.  Start by folding a side up, glue it, and then the next.  Basically, just use lots of glue gun glue.



And the end product:

Then I free handed little funny witchy shoes out of the black stiff felt.  I glued those to end of the ribbons.



Then I glued the two legs on to the Tu Tu wreath.



I was almost ready to add the sign.  But it looked too plain and boring for me.

Here it is again:


I added some ribbon....


Cute, but still not quite done.  So I added another spiderweb.



Done!

Then I glued that on to the wreath.  The finished product?



SPOOKTACULAR!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment