Sunday, October 2, 2011

Quick Cinnamon Rolls





“Quick” Cinnamon Rolls

I love Cinnamon Rolls.  My little guy loves them too.  In fact, when I make those canned cinnamon rolls, he can polish off half of them by himself easily.  I was looking for a really good, easy, homemade cinnamon roll recipe that would be just as good as the “canned” kind, but a little healthier.  I came across a Bisquick recipe and decided to give it a try.  I believe that the original recipe would have been a little dry, so I added a few of my own changes.  In the end this gave us a wonderfully flavored roll, not too dry, and with a little more heft than it’s canned cousins.  Little guy ended up eating about 1 and ½ before declaring himself “full” J

Quick Cinnamon Rolls:

***Note: This recipe makes a full 13 x 9 pan of Cinnamon Rolls.  I halved it easily and just filled a pie plate. 

Inside filling mix:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter

Cinnamon Roll Dough:
2 ¾ cups Original Bisquick® mix
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons greek yogurt or sour cream (I didn’t have any “plain” yogurt on hand, so I used the honey flavored greek yogurt.  And I think the result was a little more kick of flavor.  It was awesome!)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla


Glaze (you should know that you can also just sub in store bought vanilla icing.  No one will even know.  I used it and it worked great!)
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Heat oven to 375°F. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan. In small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.

In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, 2/3 cup milk , 2 tablespoons sugar, greek yogurt, egg, and vanilla until dough forms. If dough is too sticky, gradually mix in enough Bisquick mix (up to 1/4 cup) to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto surface well dusted with Bisquick mix; gently roll dough in Bisquick mix to coat. Shape into ball; knead 10 times.
Roll dough into 15x9-inch rectangle; spread with butter.

Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture.

Roll up tightly, beginning at 15-inch side. Seal well by pinching edge of dough into roll. Cut into 1 1/4-inch slices; place cut sides down in pan.

Bake 17 to 19 minutes or until just starting to turn golden brown.  Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan.

In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Spread glaze over warm rolls.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment