Sunday, February 13, 2011

Creation by Gerald McDermott



Okay, I love this book. Like really, really, really love this book. I've read it to all ages and it works- and there are not many religious kids books out there that work so well. It takes excerpts from the creation story in the book of Genesis, and puts them together so it sounds like poetry. The words pair so well with the illustrations and I get goosebumps every time I look at it.

The illustrations are done by award winning artist Gerald McDermott. He said he traveled all over the world studying various creation stories. In one of the last stops he made, he picked up some handmade mulberry bark papers in Japan. He brought those back to the US and began painting on them using gesso, fabric, and paint. The result is breath taking.

I used it today in a church lesson for the kids sunday school. Picture this 20-30 kids ages 4-7 and then again to 20-30 kids ages 8-11. And they were WOUND UP. But as soon as I got past the first few pages it was so silent you could hear a pin drop. I'm telling you- this book has power.

I always check it out from the Library, but I've used it enough I probably should get my own copy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment